About Me

My photo
A first time mum at 39, trying not to let my son kill me off too soon. Busy juggling a new family, a new house and a tricky recording schedule I figured blogging would be less expensive than therapy and less embarrassing than shouting at rude and stupid people in the street/on trains/at the supermarket.

Tuesday 6 December 2011

I dispair....

A friend of mine directed me to this website today.  It almost makes me want to cry....
http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/12-extremely-disappointing-facts-about-popular-mus
For those who can't follow the link it is entitled:

12 extremely disappointing facts about popular music

1. Creed have sold more records in the US than Jimi Hendrix
Okay so i don't know who Creed are but after a little research I discovered that they have been 'active' and touring and releasing records from 1995 til 2004 and then started again in 2009.  Seeing as Hendrix was discovered in 1967 and died in 1970 he hasn't really had time on his side. 
Still quite surprising though.

2. Led Zeppelin, REM, and Depeche Mode have never had a number one single, Rihanna has 10
Yes, but in recent years you may only need to sell between 18,000 - 23,000 copies to hit number 1.  Before 2003, the average number 1 sales were over 130,000!!  C'mon, I don't really need to say any more do I.


3. Ke$ha's “Tik-Tok” sold more copies than ANY Beatles single

This blows my previous argument out of the water and I don't know what to say. Especially as I have no idea who Ke$ha is and I've never heard  that song.  God I'm old.

4. Flo Rida's “Low” has sold 8 million copies – the same as The Beatles' “Hey Jude”

see no.4  I have heard of her but i have no idea about the song.  In defence [m'lud], The Beatles didn't have the luxury of the internet and digital downloads to help their total. 

5. The Black Eyed Peas' “I Gotta Feeling” is more popular than any Elvis or Simon & Garfunkel song

See no.4.  Elvis and Simon & Garfunkel didn't have t'internet.  And please define 'popular'.
That saying, this is a very sad fact.  Haven't these people seen the video of Black Eyed Peas embarrassing performance on The X-Factor last year!?

6. Celine Dion's “Falling Into You” sold more copies than any Queen, Nirvana, or Bruce Springsteen record

Kill me now.  But then I guess your nan will buy Celine Dion and not Nirvana.  There is no accounting for taste.

7. Same with Shania Twain's “Come On Over”

see no.6

8.Katy Perry holds the same record as Michael Jackson for most number one singles from one album
Shows they were both lazy and couldn't be bothered to write new stuff! [ok, so I'm only half joking...]

9.Barbra Streisand has sold more records (140 milllion) than Pearl Jam, Johnny Cash and Tom Petty combined.
and this surprises you because.....?
MOR will always sell more.  Sad but true.   And I'd rather it was her than Celine Dion. 

10. People actually bought Billy Ray Cyrus' album “Some Gave All…” 20 million people. More than any Bob Marley album

yep, but no one will actually admit to owning the BRC album and lots of people will tell you that they do own a Bob Marley one when in reality they downloaded 'I shot the Sheriff' for a party once.

11. The Cast of 'Glee' has had more songs chart than the Beatles.
Yes, but how many of them did they write?  And charting doesn't mean they were hits.  And I refer back to point 2.  I reckon if I had a go I could make a song chart. 

12. Justin Bieber exists.
we all live in hope though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment